Monday, September 18, 2006

Celebrating Single



I have so many things to blog about today but in the essence of trying to maintain continuity I will take my time and hit other topics on other days. By the way, I am an incurable fan of the most supreme John Coltrane. I write this blog as I listen to his classic, A Love Supreme. I must take a small journey on the “Trane” everyday. Just click the PLAY icon on the player above to take today’s journey with me. I hope to one day visit the ashram of his wife Alice in California. This man was so far ahead of his time.

Today is the beginning of National Singles Week! I am sure you ask, why be so excited? For me its cool. The celebration of being single!
Today I flipped through a list of celebrity “singles” and was shocked to find that Charlize Theron is actually listed. Now technically, she is single but has been in a committed relationship for over five years.

Maybe they should change the name of the holiday to National Unmarried and Unattached Persons Week. If you have someone in your life then you can’t be down. I’m serious, single means just that – by yourself and loving it.

As for me I know that whenever it is time for me to be in a stable committed relationship then I will be ready. Right now, I date me. I take myself to great restaurants, movies and of course trips. I go to see shows, take walks on the beach and do things with me. One friend told me that doing that wasn’t healthy but it does it’s do whilst I wait!

I don’t want to be like other friends I have had that are serial daters going from person to person never enjoying alone time. There is something to be said for really getting to know yourself all over again. It helps you to fall in love with your insecurities! That’s right, find what you consider to be your best feature and fall in love with that. Watch the difference it makes. Anyway, I also know that I will never be one of those individuals who are so jaded that they are suspicious of anyone that comes around showing genuine interest. So messed up inside until they chase the possibility away. Like my grandmother used to say, “How can I invite you in my house if it’s dirty inside?”

In essence, I love the me that I am. My daily evolution into being fuels my fire to always want and discover more. For now I am single but I envision myself as a committed father and husband ready to deliver A LOVE SUPREME to those in my life.

3 comments:

That Dude Right There said...

"I envision myself as a committed father and husband ready to deliver A LOVE SUPREME to those in my life."

I thought that I was the only one that had this vision.

Anonymous said...

I was just listening to a mix jazz cd last night that had that Coltrane song on it

deepnthought said...

First and formost. I love Coltrane. Second, I so agree about the serial dating thing. I thought I was the only one who dates themself. I am preparing to take myself to dinner and a movie.
This was a good post.