Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sammie Lee Davis - One Grand Man

I recently went to the funeral of a relative and it was one of the most amazing events that I've ever attended. I'd never thought I would see the day I was happy to attend a funeral but I was.

My uncle Sammy Lee Davis, L.F.D. was really not my uncle, he was my grandfather's first cousin but he has always been close to the family. At 90 years old he was one of the oldest living members of the family but he was still the grand man that he has always been. Since the age of 14, he had been involved in the funeral industry. As a matter of fact he was one of the top embalmers in Florida. He was truly a legend. Although his formal education was in Mortuary Science, he was also one of the finest musicians in the state. Many soloists requested his skills even though he never had a formal day of musical training.

As a kid I remember going to Uncle Sammy Lee's house was always fun because he was a great cook and was just cool to be around (for an old guy). He had five kids and was married for too many years to count to his wife Inez (she passed on in 2002). Even though I was just a little child he was really good to me. What is most prolific about him was the fact that he loved to dress. Anytime that he stepped out of his house, he was coordinated from head to toe. Hats, socks shoes and all were always tight!

He had recently moved back to Jacksonville after living with one of his children in Palm Beach. I was happy that he was back here it would give me a chance to see him when I was in town. So the day after he moved into his new senior care facility, I was there. We hung out and talked for hours. You would think at 90 years old and this guy might forget some things but he had a better memory than me. In fact I called several older relatives on my cell so that he could speak with them and he spoke to them reminiscing about old times and talking about getting together again.

Little did I know, less than a week later he'd be gone.

I really wasn't sad when I was told that he had passed away, because I knew he lived a full life. And I knew just having seen him, how happy he really was. But the funeral was classic Uncle Sammy!

The services were pretty normal lasting only about an hour. But afterwards was when the pomp and circumstance began. Waiting outside of the church was a glass carriage with velvet draped upon the windows. The carriage was drawn by two coal black stallions. This was how he was to be transported to his final resting place! The cortège traveled behind the stallions and the coffin for more than 20 miles to an exclusive cemetery near downtown. On the trip many onlookers even came outside their homes to look and see what was going on. Truly it was a procession to behold and just like him, it was -- GRAND!

When we arrived at the cemetery, he was gingerly transported to a mausoleum then in a beautiful ceremony befitting a head of state the entombment procedures began. In a final salute, two white doves were presented to the family. Each family member was asked to whisper something to the dove as a final good-bye to Uncle Sammie. The doves were then thrown into the air and they circled in a choreographed dance. At the same time a shout was given from footman of the carriage. The coachman who stood erect in the center of the carriage and the horses took off galloping away in full speed as the carriage driver tipped his hat in the final salute. With that the birds flew straight up into the air and disappeared from sight.

Just as he lived his life, Uncle Sammy made death an event. His funeral was full of laughter, great stories and people reminiscing about a great and loving man. He died softly in his sleep and that was befitting for him. He went out like he lived . . . with style!

2 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

Ahhh...what a great way to go.

Ladynay said...

He sounded like a wonderful man. He was quite the looker back in the day too :-P

What an awesome way to start, live, and depart the world....