Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Def Comedy Jam - Keepin' Em Laughin

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It has come back to life. Def Comedy Jam has returned to the airwaves (a few weeks ago).

Back in 1992, no one ever thought that a revolution was about to come to television. Saturday Night Live was in control for comedy even though quite often the show wasn’t even funny. Still Lorne Michaels had the audiences tuning in every Saturday Night to laugh. But Russell Simmons was an innovator. He had an idea and a vision. He pulled in friends like Stan Lathan and Def Comedy Jam was born.

Who would've thought that televising some of the raunchiest, boldest and up-and-coming comedians would really be one of the shows that put HBO Original Programming on the map? But Simmons knew and his formula was a success.

I remember at 14 or 15 years old sneaking up in the middle of the night to creep into the den so I could turn on HBO and see Def Comedy Jam. Like most of us, I wasn't supposed to be watching the show. But, I knew that if I didn't watch everyone at school would know what was going on and I wouldn't. So it was a must. I guess my parents know now! It was the forbidden thing to do but it always kept me in stitches, even though sometimes I had no idea what the comedians were talking about.

This show launched the careers of some of the great ones. I remember a story that was told by Bernie Mac. You remember his catchphrase that took the country by storm, "I ain't scared of you mother fu#$#&(^*". That tirade really wasn’t planned. It came about because someone in the crowd was heckling the comedians and had booed someone off the stage. Mac refused to be booed and made history!

Since we (African-Americans) arrived in this country, we have had to use laughter to keep from crying. Whether it was the fact that we were underrepresented in government or that our children were disproportionately murdered. Maybe that we were used for government experiments or couldn't get a decent job after fighting along with White Soldiers in wars – laughter was the best medicine. From Pearl Bailey and Moms Mabley to Adele Givens and Sommore the tradition continues.



I was happy to see that Russell Simmons brought Def Comedy Jam back after such a long hiatus. Maybe for me the luster is gone since I can legally watch it and not worry if my parents will get up and catch me. Aries Spears is funny as is Arnaz J. and the rest of the crew but Mike Epps will never be Martin Lawrence and Chris Tucker's antics can never be repeated. I appreciate Def Comedy Jam and the impact it has made on American life. And even though the comedians have made me laugh, the new Def Comedy Jam ain’t what it was.

Nevertheless, we have to thank Russell Simmons for continuing to push the envelope and reminding us that sometimes to get by -- we just gotta laugh!

2 comments:

TrinaBeingTrina said...

I also noticed that Def Comedy was back in full effect. There isn't anything like some good stand up comedy.

BTW.. I love Bernie Mac and I know that one day he will be my next baby daddy! ;-)

Ladynay said...

Okay so I am going to comment, LOL

You wasn't the only one sneeking to watch it!

I won't be able to watch the second wave of DCJ, but I hope it will be able to keep up and exceed the standard the first wave of shows. If not, there may be some issues...

Comicview, do I need to say more? Does that even come on anymore?