Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Few Days Away, More Lessons Learned

It has been a few days since I've had the chance to blog. So thanks for all the love to everyone who sent e-mails and gave phone calls wondering where the heck I was!

The last few days have been pretty cool. Nothing really major -- just the usual. But you know life for me has never been usual!

I had an audition this week that went pretty well. While I was at the production facility, I had a chance to hang out with the receptionist which was an interesting situation. Quite often, I meet people we begin to talk and it is as if we have known each other forever. She was telling me about some of the things that she had experienced as far as love was concerned in the past year or so. The key thing that she said, was that only when she decided to let go and just allow her life to evolve, did she really experience true love and a fulfillment in life. I think that's a lesson for all of us. We often forget that “it is all” predestined. So do what you must but don’t sweat it.

Since I had been on the road for bit and was extremely busy, I had not had time to go get a hair cut. I used to cut my hair myself, especially when I did the bald thing. But right now, a trip to the barbershop was extremely necessary. As usual, my boy FRESHCUTZ always makes sure that the hair is on point. Unfortunately, my barbershop is located in a major shopping mall. Now the good thing about this is – that you can go put your name on the list and go to the mall to shop! The bad thing about this is – you can go put your name on the list and go to the mall to shop! The receptionist calls you when you are up. Needless to say, I had to hit up the mall for a few post summer sales.

I wish that more people could see the finer points of ensemble coordination. Just because something is on a mannequin does not mean that you need to wear it all together – at the same time! Old Navy can be hot when mixed with couture. Open your mind and use some style. But we’ll get to an etiquette and style blog later.

Anyway, FRESHCUTZ called me on the cell and I made my way back to the shop. While I was getting my cut, a dude came in with a mohawk. Now it's hard to explain this mohawk and I tried to secretly take a picture of this mess but couldn't. He had on some TOO TIGHT Capri Jeans, a pair of Chuck’s and a shirt that came just above his navel and looked painted on. Need I say more! FRESHCUTZ of course cannot control himself and is snorting and laughing like he is about to bust a gasket. Now the dude’s mohawk was as knotty as yak mane. So FRESHCUTZ whispers, “Damn what the hell is that, a FRO-HAWK?”! I did my laughing got my fresh cut and was out. The barbershop is always an experience.

After picking up a few more things I didn’t need (mostly gifts), I hopped by Starbucks for a Decaf Grande Extra Hot Soy Cappuccino. When I walked in I was stopped by a young cutie. She was with other friends but quizzed me about my phone. This Dolce Gabbana Razr gets me more play than I know what to do with but I am not complaining. Then in walks these two high school chicks in 70’s hippie gear -- complete with wigs and all! Of course I had to take a pic! Do I remember those high school days? Damn, it was sooooo long ago.

The day was close to ending but one of my boys had just moved to the state was having a house warming and I promised to get by. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to get and give gifts. I think that it is important to give not just any gifts but gifts that are thoughtful, intelligent and unique. Sometimes the stuff I give can be off the hook. This monstrosity that I put together featuring raffia, a wicker basket wineglasses and a great bottle of White Zen was one of my best. When I delivered the gift, I was planning only to stay a few moments. Being more than fashionably late, when I arrived - the party was over. Well my man and his crew wanted to hit the clubs. Since he didn’t know the area very well, I was asked to be the “entertainment host” of the night. I obliged.

As usual, the club scene was what it was – THE CLUB SCENE. I am really over that part of my life even though I still can throw a tight soirĂ©e! During the night, a few phone numbers came my way but truly they held no interest for me.

Interestingly enough though I met a beautiful young lady from Long Island and our conversation melded from social issues to politics to living in Los Angeles. Most New Yorkers are really cosmopolitan and her conversation proved that point. In fact, she made my night! In modern trend, we exchanged email addresses and vowed to keep in contact.

I suppose that I'm getting older, I mean the club was fun and don't get me wrong I can still mess them up on the dance floor but social interaction and meaningful conversations hold much more for me than who can “make that thang hop”. It was a good night and even though I reminisced fondly upon my every week club hopping days, I am glad that they are over or at least are few and far between.

The ME THAT I WAS – was awesome.
The ME THAT I AM –Reigns supreme. I look forward to – THE ME THAT I WILL BECOME!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Pa, the barbershop scene belongs in a sitcom... I laughed in two languages...LOL... I like the you that you are... although I have to say, you're come across like a high maintenance brotha...high-end phone and all... anyway, keep it up...a thoughtful man who's in touch with who he is always makes for an interesting meet - club scene or not.

Ladynay said...

Good luck with the audition.

I have a classmate that rocked something very simliar to the frohawk dude, if he had on too much eyeliner as well, it could have been him! LOL

Well alright for that cell phone! I would lose it so it's better you have it than me! It is an attractive phone tho'

Since you like giving gift, I want a digital phone, a new pan set and a wok! ROFL *wink*

Nothing wrong with changing phases in life, that's what happens. At least you met someone that could reach you mentally. That makes anyone more beautiful.

Later

Darius T. Williams said...

Hmmm...that phone, that phone. I'm not really into name brand things - but that's a hot phone. Too bad i hate the RAZR. I hear texting on the phone is HORRIBLE. Besides...my MDA is a much better technological companion than the RAZR could ever be.

Moving onto the barbershop experience. I always have one of those. I go EVERYWEEK. Each and every Friday, my weekend can't being properly unless I've visited Mone...Isn't that something - I don't even know the guy's real name...but I love him as though I do! I love the barbershop...it's full of testosterone.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your audition man

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you on a good conversation. A good conversation and a great voice can go a long way. Now as far as LOVE the receptionist was right to me love in upredictible.

N4R said...

Yeah your Dolce Gabbana Razr is a trouble maker...LOL