Monday, October 23, 2006

Maddona and Malawi: Trapped in Transition

So the story is out, Madonna plans to go on Oprah tomorrow to talk about the baby that she adopted from Malawi. Why is everyone all up in arms about Madonna adopting David Banda?

I understand what many people are saying about the fact that Madonna has money and therefore privilege and was able to side step the system but she's helping a young boy in need. In fact, according to her she has been on this quest privately for more than a year. Madonna helped the country of Malawi by building hospitals and orphanages and has vowed to be a benefactor to this impoverished nation. She has put her money where her mouth is.

Why does everyone want her to take the child back? Back to poverty, sickness and very little education. Like Anjolina Jolie, Madonna has promised to ensure that the baby knows of his Malawian roots. She has vowed to take him back to the country and hopes to be even more beneficent to the people there. She even sat with his father Yohane during the adoption court procedures.

Nevertheless, people from all over the world are speaking out and saying that she shouldn't have taken this boy from his surroundings.

I look at the possibility and the opportunities that exist. In doing research, I discovered that this boy's two other brothers both died of malaria his mother also died leaving his widowed father to fin for the family alone. The father not knowing anything else put the baby in an orphanage and though he visited him frequently he knew that a better life existed if the child was adopted. In fact, the father even tried to get other relatives in Zambia and neighboring villages to take the boy but no one was interested. Now, that an international superstar has stepped in to help – everyone has something to say.

Young David will be well-educated about his country and the ways of the west, he will be cared for as Madonna's own son and optimistically he will go back as an educated son of Malawi to help that country realize its full potential. More than an adoption this is opportunity.

This is somewhat personal for me, because one of my goals is to adopt a child from an African nation, as my own. This charge on my life was prompted by an article I read in Essence magazine. The article told of one young girl who at age 12 was taking care all of her younger brothers and sisters because her entire family had been wiped out by HIV-AIDS. Here in America, if something tragic happens to a child’s family, there are a great deal of services and programs to help that child into maturity. These things don't exist in Africa. I wonder if when I'm financially and emotionally ready to adopt a child whether I will go to the same struggles as Madonna.

I hope that when Madonna goes on the Oprah Winfrey Show, people see her as a caring loving woman who wants to give love to the world. Even the boy's father was initially accepting of his son going to the west. Now these so-called human rights groups have poisoned the father into questioning his decision.

It's not so bad that this child has a chance to transcend his surroundings and truly be a citizen of the world. If no one else is stepping up to the plate then get out of the way and allow this boy to experience his destiny.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adoption is a great on so many levels. When someone can love a child unconditionally and give them all they need and more. How can you agrue with that. There is a huge need for adoption everywhere. There are women who can't have children but have an option to adopt. I feel like Maddona is doing a good thing. To me that's one more child that is being cared for and have a chance at life. If more people would setup to the plate this world would be little better.

Mahogany Misfit said...

I have pretty radical thinking on the subject of adoption.

I truly believe that people of means (financially well off) should adopt rather than having their own kids. I'm a childfree individual and I have to deal with being called "selfish" all the time for not procreating, yet the main reasons people have children are for SELFISH reasons.

Let's explore a few of those...

Most un-evolved people have kids because:

They want a little clone of themselves to show off

They want to have a baby to "love them unconditionally" (to fulfill an inherently SELFISH need)

They want to feel needed and important

They think it's some "rite of passage" to qualify as a true adult

They have "baby lust" and think a child will fill every void in their relationship, marriage, and their life in general

The list goes on.

If raising children is such a noble act, people should ADOPT needy, abandoned children already in existence instead of selfishly choosing to bring new babies into this already overpopulated world.

*ok, off soapbox*

Unknown said...

Whether we’re talking about celebrity status or the gay adoption issue it is the same – detractors and whiners are not out in droves adopting the kids they wish to prevent these folks from adopting. I’m a firm believer in put up or shut the f*ck up! If you don’t intend to make a difference and adopt a child, then you should have no comment on the issue – whatsoever! I’m amazed…truly amazed that someone doesn’t just “Kirk-out” and say that… I guess that’s why the Lord keeps me where I am… I can hear the media’ sound bytes now…. “Cocoa, why is your gay ass using your celebrity status to adopt?” My response, “Are you planning to adopt this child if I leave him/her behind?” To which the reporter will more than likely respond, “No.” “Then shut the f*ck up! Next question,” I would proudly announce.

Personally, I don’t have an interest in adopting children – although everyone around seems to think I’d make a wonderful dad. I just can’t ever have my children suffer or be judged on the “sins” and idiosyncrasies of my life. Yes, there are a million arguments to counter that belief, but mine is a personal view that sees the child’s needs and woes outweighing my own.

Madonna, Angie – even you Rah… do you thing! Adopt, give and share love and know that it is the RIGHT thing in the face of naysayers who do nothing!

Keep passin’ the open windows…

feels good b n FREE said...

thank u so much for this post.
indeed, Madonna giving this boy an opportunity greater than he'd ever have recieved before is wonderful!

i'm not that fond of Madonna...but i'm so happy that she found it in her heart to adopt him.

people are funny..we, should be cheering. i wonder if we had the financial opportunities Madonna is privy to would we step out of ourselves and change an
African'd child life.

by the way,thanx for the comment on my page as well. hugs n kisses.
~chandra

Waddie G. said...

Madonna does anything to garner attention, and sadly none of it has anything to do with her music...what's even more deplorable is that an innocent man is victim of her popularity right now.

Anonymous said...

As the father of two children, and someone who is in a higher tax bracket than even I dreamed of, I have always said that if I choose to have another child, I will adopt.

I agree with "the mistress" that financially well-off individuals, couples and families should adopt. But, it's not something that only the wealthy should consider. I sincerely believe that anyone, any family or person that wants to have a child and can provide the love, support, and values-system that a child needs to have a fighting chance at life should adopt or at least give strong consideration to it.

No child asked to be here. No child asked to be abandoned. If Madonna, or anyone else for that matter can say wholeheartedly and without a shadow of a doubt that they can give a child what he or she needs to seize their bright futures...then I say HELLZ YEA!!

M-Dubb said...

It's sad that people are thinking this is a ploy by Madonna to gain far more attention than she already has. I mean, she has performed on one of the highest grossing tours this decade, not to mention the millions she gives to charities each year.

Do you really need more than that?

I applaud her for her efforts to help this impoverished country. I applaud her for being brace enough to weather the storm of insinuation and allegation she is, and will continue, to fight.

I do wish David's father would stop flip flopping in his statements to the press though. If they ask him "how do you feel that Madonna's stolen your baby?" he acts like the victim. When they ask about the better life the boy will receive, he does nothing but give glowing remarks about the woman who will give his son a better life.

What gives?

Anonymous said...

Greetings!...
- rahmanjohnson.blogspot.com h
spaghetti alla carbonara

Anonymous said...

I like it a lot! Very nicely done. Easy to find helpful information. All the best!
- www.blogger.com k
spaghetti alla carbonara

Anonymous said...

I THINK THAT WHAT MADDONA HAS DONE IS FANTASTIC.WOULD I BE SPEAD ALL OVER NEWS AND TABLOIDS IF I CHOSE TO ADOPT A CHILD FROM A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY?A LOT OFF PEOPLE CHOOSE TO LOOK AT AN ALTERNATIVE REASON FOR HER ADOPTING IE,TO INCREASE HER PROFILE,MADDONA DOES NOT NEED TO DO THIS. SHE IS LOVING MOTHER WHO, LIKE MOST OF US LOVING MOTHERS, WANTED TO HELP THESE POOR CHILDREN AND GIVE THEM A BETTER LIFE.BY ADOPTING DAVID SHE HAS HELPED ONE MORE OF THESE CHILDREN LOOK FORWARD TO A BETTER FUTURE.
I THINK THAT HER CONTINUING SUPPORT OF THE CHILDREN IN MALAWI SHOWS THAT SHE DID NOT ADOPT TO BE PART OF THE "CURRENT TREND" SHE REALLY DOES CARE AND LOVE THESE CHILDREN.