Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Al Washington - Remembering A Great Man

Daddy
a poem for Al Washington
(written after seeing Tim Burton's Big Fish)

Daddy, you was an enigma
wrapped in a riddle at the crux of a lie
So for you I cry.

You were my should and my couldn’t, my never would be and all that I was
Looking toward you for the answers,
The truth came wrapped in gold upon a bed of silk
Societal expectation had retrained my mind to seek much less.
I love that which I knew and longed for that which I knew not

You was my baba
Your lessons began in a story and ended in the truth
A truth that I was often too young to understand, and even now I find myself pondering your words for revelation
There was some of me in you and some of you in me,
I ran from the me that I was destined to be.

Without reservation . . . I loved you still

Those who you love, I loved too not knowing why
And the secrets that you held close were the mysteries of your untold generosity and the extent of your unconditional love.

I loved you for being with me
I hated your for leaving me way too soon
You were way too young
And though you are not here, you watch me still
Your stories make me laugh, still –
You live, still – within me, through your stories, by your tales
My Daddy,
My Angel –
MY TRUTH!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... touched. My heartfelt sympathy. Pa...may his peace be with you 'til you meet again.

Keep passin' the open windows...

Ladynay said...

I think I need to see Big Fish...

Darius T. Williams said...

hmmm -you're so deep. i love you - we should get married...no seriously, we should.

Anonymous said...

The poem was emotional. It's good to know that a man can express the love of father and not hatred. No matter what the relationship were between a father and son.

Jenell : BlakIzBeautyful said...

Magnificent!

Very touching and emotional.
What I like about this piece is that although its personal to you, its not soo personal that someone who is distant from this situation couldn't still feel you.


I really enjoyed this post.

I hope to see you around my place brother Rahman