Thursday, October 19, 2006

Denny's Is Bad - But The Day Was Good

Okay, yesterday was one of those I got a blog about it days. It was truly unexpectedly eventful!

One of the good things about living in Florida is the fact that usually the weather stays around 80 or so degrees. Yesterday was no exception. I know that all of my friends in the Northeast and Midwest are hatin right about now but my doors in Florida are always open to you. Tank tops and flip-flops! You know how we do.

Nevertheless, yesterday was pretty dreary and it rained a lot so once I finished some of the administrative stuff that I had to do I decided to treat myself to breakfast at Denny's. So since it was raining cats and dogs, of course I had to walk into the coldest Denny's on earth. I swear the thermostat that must've been set at 40 and I was seated right in front of a vent. So I sat there and I sat there and I sat there and I sat there some more. In total I sat there at this restaurant for 45 minutes and still no one came over to offer me a piece of ice. I was livid!

What was even more surprising is that even on my worst days, I do stay pretty well put together. Today was no exception. However other white patrons that were grungy looking were served and even offered beverages prior to me even being questioned. So I left and called the manager of the Denny's who happen to be African-American. All that she said was, “I'm sorry, what can I do, let me check on that”. Now being that I am a former elected office holder in my city and don't like to see people disrespected in any way, I had half a mind to go back inside and open up a major can of whip-ass and pull out my best Jesse Jackson meets Al Sharpton. But keeping with better judgment I decided to keep it rolling and resolved to write a letter later.

Since I hadn't eaten I was somewhat cranky so I decided to go to one of those buffets to get some fresh veggies and a salad. Now this usually isn't my speed but it was cool because I knew one of the waiters that worked there. He was from Haiti so it gave me a chance to work on my Creole while having a pretty healthy lunch.

Of course I really wasn't in the mood for conversation, but while I was there I got a phone call from my agent. I had booked a commercial that I had yet to be paid for and she was telling me that I was going to get paid well below the fee that I usually receive. Now I have worked hard to get to the point where I am in my career so I expect to be paid for what I do. I had to make sure that my agent understood that. So again, I was forced to again regulate.

After then call, a brother who was having lunch there as well came by my table.
“Excuse me”, he said. “I don’t mean to be rude but you look familiar and I heard you say something about acting on your phone call”. Of course, I was a little shocked at first. What’s up with checking out my call? But he seemed mad cool and just had a few questions about the industry. So he joined me, I gave him some pointers and finished my lunch with great conversation.


Truthfully, I had no reason to be at that restaurant yesterday but it goes back to my belief and mantra – “I am where I am supposed to be”. I had a healthy meal, I was able to give some information to someone who really needed it. Someone who will probably use that information to become successful. Yesterday was one of those days, strangely productive and enlightening.

6 comments:

Ladynay said...

I've never had a good Denny's experience and I've been to 3 in 3 different states.

Being productive is always good. When ever I hear actor I think NY, but that's cool your holding it down in FL.

Ms.Honey said...

First time by..glad I came :)

I've heard that Denny's is horrible and I had one bad experience there and have never ever been back since..I tend to go for the mom and pop diners LOL...glad you were in the right place at the right time..no need to show the NAACP card LOL

Elle Jefe said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog, so I had to return the favor. People never learn from Denny's, nothing good has ever come from that place. :)

blkbutterfly said...

thanks for stopping by my blog.
i don't think i've ever been in a Denny's before, and from what i've heard, it's not an experience i want to have.

i don't know how you sat there for 45 minutes. i get agitated after 5 minutes!

Anonymous said...

I can agree Denny's is very much in need of a operation lift. They are very inconsiderate when it comes to guest of color. I'm sure they're aware of this and only use the african american they hire as a racial deterrent. I alway have preferred Waffle House over Denny's. Sorry about your experience. Glad to know you were able to help someone else out though.. hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

Forget Denny's. Maybe you should go to New York and have dinner at Tavern on the Green with that person you seem to be infatuated with. :-). LMAO