Friday, August 18, 2006

Chapelle's Show Is Back -- on DVD

The weekend is almost here again and I really haven’t had time to recap last weekend. Who know where the time goes.

I was thinking about time the other day. Time is fleeting and moves like lightning – but this is only since I became an adult. When I was younger, time moved at a snails pace. I could not wait for Holidays to come around or my birthday or the time when I was supposed to hang out with my cousins. But it seems like now the days are all a blur and that things are moving so fast. It’s like I need to put a bridle on time.

Anyway, I purchased the Lost Episodes of Chapelle’s Show last weekend and as usual the antics of Dave Chappelle, Charlie Murphy and Donnell Rawlings and his crew kept me in stitches. It’s just that this particular show held more meaning with all of the issues surrounding Dave Chapelle. This time the humor provided social commentary that was even more biting than usual.

The most interesting and best part of the show for me was the “Town Hall Meeting” that talked about the use of the ethnic pixies in his sketches.

I was amazed that a show like this would truly poll the audience and do what the show should be doing anyway – promoting dialogue.

I am glad that the sketches about the pixies were aired. In order for power to be removed from the word “nigger” or for stereotypes like Asians eating only rice to be put away, we have to take power away from these things. Quite often we allow people to have power over us for reasons that we can control. Take the power away and we take away their control.

I admit I laughed at all of the pixies. I laughed at the entire Chapelle’s Show. I laughed because it was good for the soul and it was good for me. I hope that with the state of things in the world we can continue to laugh and move forward to see the opportunities that exist when we all work together.

No comments: