Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Cargo Shorts: The Me That I Am -- OK?

Aright so I am sitting at the office this afternoon. I am finally able to enjoy some quiet. My office is very busy and bustling but there have been some personnel changes and things are starting to just become more fluid. Often people can bring an aura with them when they come into a situation and even though we think positively sometimes we need others around us to amplify what is there.

I am listening to Busta Rhymes New York ^*&&$# -- it is the deal. I guess that I have recently been into the NYC thing. Nowhamean!!!

Well another young lady that works in the office today had a couple of issues in her life coupled with the fact that some people had touched things on her desk. Well it just so happened that I received the brunt of her wrath. I mean she went on and on and even though I wasn’t the one who did what she said, I caught it. After a few minutes I asked her to step out of the office and we discussed the situation in a rather heated manner. I tried to be cool in the office but couldn’t so I had to “go there” just so we could discuss the issue with civility. I guess sometimes it just takes that to handle business. I really like the young lady so it was done once it was over but sometimes working in an office full of ladies can be challenging. Luckily I was allowed to hire a brother who knows my style and how to deal professionally. “Stunna” is also a pro. He was there early this morning and he was on it! But I didn’t expect anything less.

Oh yea, I bought some cargo shorts yesterday and rocked them with a pair of Adidas’. Man why didn’t I get the memo before now that cargo shorts were hot like that! I got them a little bigger than my actual size and figured that I would try them out – I am in love. I wish I could wear them year round. Is this a new period for me? Am I going from upscale casual to grunge? Hummmm?

OK on the philosophical tip – Does being the me that I am, mean that I will never change? You know change is always good and necessary. [Song change Corinne Bailey Rae – Enchantment] Hopefully, the man that I am today is not the man that I was on yesterday and prayerfully, I will not be the same man tomorrow. The reason I ask this is that I recently had a conversation with someone to which I explained that one of the reasons that though I know a lot of people, I usually abstain from establishing a lot of majorly close relationships because the closer that people are to you – the easier they can hurt you. Don’t get it twisted, I’m not around being a hermit but you have to be judicious about who you allow into your circle. You know what my friend offered me a piece of advice recently, “Show some sincerity”. I was initially taken aback by the statement. But after quizzing my friend, basically he was saying allow yourself to be vulnerable.

I am sincere, passionate and considerate. Sometimes to a fault. But he was right sometimes I spend so much time shielding myself from everyone that miss who is really there for me. As an actor – I use that emotion for my characters. The hurt or loneliness or vulnerability, I use to bring characters to life. Nevertheless, I suppose that it makes me the individual miss out on some things.

I appreciate that advice. Sometimes it is good to experience the hurt just so that you can be ready to identify the good things when they come along. Keep bangin’! I got some realness coming, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

Nah - being who you are doesn't mean you'll never change. Change happens - but your personality is the template that allows change to affect you (I just realized what I typed...that's hot). Change is inevitable - even in being who you are. Being who you are has nothing to do with you changing. It does however have everything to do with HOW you change.

-DTW

Are the colors still crimson and cream?

Unknown said...

I been doin' the cargos for years... love'em... keep it real and you'll never go wrong.