Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I am Rahman Johnson and I Support Barak Obama!

In a way, I knew that this would happen during my lifetime and still it is an interesting concept to wrap my mind around.

Barak Obama is now the Democratic Nominee for President of the United States! Truly I am excited!

During what can be called one of the most contentious races in U.S. history, I made what some would consider an unpopular decision. Hillary Clinton was my pick for President. I cannot tell you how many calls, emails, MySpace Messages and notes that I received, asking me to either explain or reconsider my decision. I can say some of the language that was used wasn’t the most pleasant. Nevertheless, I am truly proud to be an American, able to have made a decision and stand by it without (major) repercussion. That is the beauty of being an American and why I love this country and the freedom that it offers.

Don’t get me wrong, I do not dislike Senator Obama. I have said from the get-go that he is a great guy and an amazing candidate. It’s just in the race for president, I thought that Hillary Clinton was a stronger candidate and I committed to her candidacy. Never mind what Bill said, never mind what people told me – I believed that she was the best candidate for the race. Ironically, when my friends tried to persuade me to vote for Senator Obama none of them would extol me on the virtues of Senator Obama they simply tried to tear down Senator Clinton. How sad to have to tear down someone else’s choice so that you can make your choice look better. For me when I spoke about the race, I tried to do what I could to talk about all the great things that Senator Clinton has done throughout her career. I even appreciated her support when I ran for office. For me it was a no-brainer to support her candidacy.

What was sad was those who pledged their support to her and jumped ship when the roads got tough. Those who said they would be there for her and made changes based on poll numbers. Those are the ones who you do not want with you in a fight. To me it does not speak volumes for their character.

You know, from the beginning I have said that if my candidate is defeated or bows out of the race then I will support Senator Obama. I have been getting calls left and right from the Obama Campaign and his supporters asking for my support. In fact a high level staffer called and asked for fundraising help and said something me to that made me smile. She said, “you know I know from the beginning you have been with Hillary and regardless of what was said or done and even when your friends asked you to change you hung in there with her. That’s real. That’s loyalty and that’s what we need in this camp as we go forward. You are the kind of brother, we can truly count on because we know when you are here, you ain’t gong nowhere”. That was real to me because one of the most important traits one can have is loyalty.

I am ready to get out there raise money, contribute time and get Barak Obama elected. I also look forward to Senator Clinton as the Vice-Presidential running mate. I am happy to in the least have remained loyal until the end. I hope that those who couldn’t understand my decision look back and respect my stance. Proudly I went to the Obama website today and signed up. I made my first contribution to his campaign. I am ready to make this thing work. I am ready to be a part of electing a catalyst for change in America.

I am Rahman Johnson and I support Barak Obama for President!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your candidate ran a fine race and you're a good man for quickly jumping ship and supporting the winner. Democrats unite! LOL.

Darius T. Williams said...

Yup - we're happy. These are decent times. But the storm is definitely coming.

foreversignature said...

I, too, supported Hillary's candidacy to the end. So I could really relate to your post.

I just pray that both Barack and Michelle can endure the storm. The weight of the world is definitely on their shoulders, but someone has to break down those barriers.

Great blog, I'll be stopping from now on!!! Check mine out when you get a chance: hiphopmoguls.blogspot.com