Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Me That I Get To Be With You


I was having a conversation with someone yesterday and was overwhelmed by one of the most profound quotes that I had ever heard.

“The me that get to be with you, is the me that I like the most”.

It took me a moment to adjust to what I heard but in those few lines alone, all that I could think was WOW!! In reading Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth (this is of course another blog all its own), my eyes have really opened up to the roles that we play in life. More and more I recognize that quite often our actions are dictated by what people will think. We fall into these unconscious roles and end up “being” someone that we really weren’t meant to be. We then end up defining ourselves by our roles.

Are roles really necessary to survive?

Why can’t we just be the “us” that we like with the ones that we love and care for all the time?

Why can’t we just BE?

That's why this blog is simply - The Me That I Am! I can’t be any more or any less than I am!

I am contradiction. I am oxymoronic, hypothetical, abstract truth. Hell yea it’s confusing! That’s ok. It’s me! I am so much more than any and all of the accomplishments or accolades. I am so much larger than that. I am even more than thought. I am ME!

Another thing that perplexed me when I heard the quote was, “well who are you with everyone else”? I mean come on I understand human nature and I know that we are not ever going to be the same with everyone that we come in to contact with. But think about it, how really different are those sides from the true us?

As for me, I try to be as genuine as I can. Like most people, there are things inside that I choose not to let out. There are things that I enjoy only with me. But I think that when I am dealing with people I try to be as real as I can. I try to be the best person I can be without adding all of those layers of stuff that confuse the entire situation.

Hopefully, I am on my way to creating a New Earth by not allowing all that stuff (the pain-body) or egoism to cloud or constrict my relationships. Even though there are those around me who may not get it yet, I am cool with that. I am cool with knowing that being me is ok in any shape or form as long as I am “there” in the moment. I am not saying that this is, has been or will be easy. We all fall back into the comfort zone of playing roles or looking AT people instead of into them. However, it starts one person at a time making a concerted effort to SEE people and not want anything from them.

I am happy that people feel comfortable being themselves with me. It’s almost one of the best things I’ve ever heard. That’s’ real enough for me!!

3 comments:

TND Media said...

I have joined blog world, we are all abstract in 3rd person (a mix of myself and bell hooks language), people can only understand that when it works to their benefit

Anonymous said...

I am so greatful to Eckhart Tolle and Oprah for turning me onto Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor and her beautiful book ""My Stroke of Insight"". Her story is amazing and her gift to all of us is a book purchase away I'm happy to say.

Dr Taylor was a Harvard brain scientist when she had a stroke at age 37. What was amazing was that her left brain was shut down by the stroke - where language and thinking occur - but her right brain was fully functioning. She experienced bliss and nirvana and the way she writes about it (or talks about it in her now famous TED talk) is incredible.

What I took away from Dr. Taylor's book above all, and why I recommend it so highly, is that you don't have to have a stroke or take drugs to find the deep inner peace that she talks about. Her book explains how. ""I want what she's having"", and thanks to this wonderful book, I can! Thank you Dr. Taylor, and thank you Eckhart and Oprah.

TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

Sometimes it's just hard to be who you really are, with certain people. Those love ones you mention, sometimes put us in boxes, that are hard to get out of, and sometimes we just become who they think and want us to be.

Do I think its right?...No , but its life.

I think that's why I began to blog, to feel free to be me, that I don't feel like I can with others.

I think so many people, even those so call, uncaring, unconformed, uninhibited people, still have people they have roles to play for.

Do I think it's needed to survive?...No, but soemtimes it's needed to perserve sanity and peace.