Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Oprah's Leadership Academy - I See The Dream

I am so full right now. I am full of life and love and of appreciation of everything that I have and every experience that I have employed.

I have just finished watching the ABC Special about the opening of Oprah Winfrey’s Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa and I cannot tell you how many times that I cried. I cried tears of joy and happiness for each and every young girl that was there. I cried for those that were not able to attend the school. I cried for those that could not cry. But most of all I cried for all of the students right here in America who did not have the wherewithal to appreciate such a gift as education.

A few years ago, a friend of my mother was selected as a Fulbright Fellow and spent several years teaching in Zimbabwe. Having been a veteran teacher in the United States her experience with the sons and daughters of Africa was unique to say the least. I remember her saying that when she walked into the room to teach the class that the students would already be there waiting and would stand at their seats until she gave them leave to sit. They would refer to her as honored professor. There was no such thing as back talk or disciplinary action and these students didn’t have to worry about dress code violations because they all wore uniforms. It was euphoria for a teacher and these students were ready and willing to learn.

She then returned to the United States and tried to teach again. It was true culture shock. The title honored professor was replaced by “bitch”. Students dressed properly turned into young ladies looking more prepared for a rap video that for learning. Instead of coming in eager, students acted as if they were doing her a favor coming to class. Definitely, it was culture shock. The students in Zimbabwe were thirsting for knowledge and the students here were not.

Since Oprah opened her school, I have heard comments like why didn’t she give that money to an American school or open an academy here. I can answer that. The truth is most American students probably wouldn’t appreciate it. Not all students of course. I am sure that there are those that would benefit and appreciate Oprah’s generosity. But there are other programs in place here. How many American students these days have to walk miles and travel hours just to get to school? Then take the trek back home to take care of household duties and younger siblings all while maintaining an exceptional grade point average. NONE! This is why in some ways education is more important to people who have to work much harder for it.

As an actor and a journalist, I appreciate the careers that all of the young ladies have chosen. I appreciate all that Oprah has done and it has inspired me to make sure that African and African-American boys everywhere understand their responsibilities and have opportunities to realize their potential.

1 comment:

Darius T. Williams said...

So, is this what it takes? Does it take an Oprah special to get you to blog??? I'm soooo mad at you. You know that little thing we had planned with the krimson & cream...well, it's OFF!!!

Okay - I'm over it - just kidding! It's back on...