Friday, March 16, 2007

In Search of a Good Cut

Well as any African American man knows, wherever you travel for an extended period of time – finding a good barber is important. So since I had been on the ground in Philadelphia, I had been on the lookout for a great barbershop.

When I was younger, I remember my barber Hakim was from Philadelphia and all he could talk about was the famous “Philly Fade”.

So here I was in the home of the fade (so to speak) in search of a good haircut. I had been asking around for weeks and everyone had a different opinion of who was best and where to go. The interesting thing here is that Asian-Americans had even gotten in on the action. As much as I have traveled, I had not been to or seen a Korean or Vietnamese Barber Shop for Black Folk but in Philadelphia one was there. I was quite interested to see how a cut would turn out but after thinking about it for about a minute I decided to be adventurous some other time.

Well, after trolling around online and asking, I finally came up with a shop called Pretty Boyzz. Now I am sure that you may think that the name attracted me because I am a Kappa but I was attracted because it seemed well put together. So I decided to go.

First the shop was a good 20-30 minutes from where I was staying in a predominantly affluent African-American area called Mount Airy. I took the drive passing briefly passing Temple University. It brought back some memories of college and the thought that I need to go back to school. In some ways I really miss formal education.

Anyway, when I arrived at the shop I was able to park right in front of the door. I was serviced by the first barber there who took my jacket and explained that the procedure was to wash the hair of each client before the hair service. OK, I thought I can get into this. So he is washing away and scrubbing for quite a while and finally after I am almost asleep he wakes me to get my cut.

Now the cut was pretty good but the interesting thing was not the cut but the fact that he was so gentle with my head, I didn’t know weather he was making love to my head or cutting it! Usually (as brothers know) when you get a cut, barbers grab your head and almost give you whiplash! That’s just what I am used to. But dude took his take and faded every corner of my hair. Go figure!

Nevertheless, I got my first Philadelphia cut and I am mostly satisfied. I know that I am only here for a short period of time but you know a brother has to be tight wherever he is. Cause where I am – is where the party’s at!!

1 comment:

Darius T. Williams said...

You know...I am so mad at your infrequent posting. But...I'll get over it.

Anyway - um...I had a similar experience in LA once. Well, technically Long Beach - but you get the point.