Thursday, February 26, 2009

Text-ed: Is That Really A Word?

So I am sitting on a plane the other day and I hear someone in conversation with a friend.
“Girl, I texted him and he didn’t even text me back”, she said.

As she spoke my hair stood on end. Did she really mean that? Of course not, I thought. I dismissed it.

A few days later a popular show came on TV and the character said that he “texted” someone. Again, I am thinking – “how did this get though network censors”?

Again, in conversation someone said, “I texted you that number the other day”. By this time I was out done. I knew that I had taught English before and from everything that I had learned as a teacher ‘texted’ was not a word. Of course I did the requisite research on-line and there in the Urban Dictionary the word ‘texted’ what right in front of me. Then again this was the Urban Dictionary so did that really make it a reliable source?

It’s just in all that had learned over the years – I was really over hearing the words ‘texted’ or ‘texting’. But what could I do? Truthfully, nothing! I am a purist on most things so in my estimation the proper thing would have been to say, “ I sent you a text message” or “I was sending a text message to you”. Then again who really does things the proper way?

So I will have to suck it up and hear people conjugate words in all types of weird ways. I guess at the end of the day we just make it up as we go along – that is the American way!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm somewhat suprised that "text" is not officially a verb. I'm pretty sure it has been used like you described for some time now.

As long as they aren't pronouncing it "text-did", I'm okay!

TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

Okay in your day to day life, when you are just kickin' it with your friends, you always talk absolutley proper?

Everyone you mentioned was talking to a friend or supposed friend. Most people don't talk properly, or like they teach English, on a day to day bases.

I had this English teacher who in cless talked, without slang and infact talked with a british dialect, becasue he went to school at Oxford, and got his Master there I believe. However when he was on the football field coaching, the proper dialect was out the door, and the black boy form Michigan came out.

Nario said...

Brotha, if you think text-ed gets under your skin, spend a day in Memphis, lol you will get a whole new understanding of words-period!

fuzzy said...

yea, when I type the words into firefox or Word documents it comes up error. Hmmm... I'll try it out and see if i can correct my diction just a bit. I'm all for self improvement! how about you correct your friends one by one? this will make the Americanized version of English more rigid! lmao While you're at it... bitchassness isn't a word either!