Friday, September 21, 2007

Musical Genius Erykah Badu -- I Miss Her

Erykah Badu Changed My Life

She is indeed the Love of My Life.

I remember the first time that I heard an Erykah Badu song. It was On& On and I was in the studio (I was a radio jock at the time) and listening to new artists. I remember thinking here is someone else trying to be creative with the spelling of their name. I pressed play and out of the speakers poured a sound that was new and different but reminiscent of a time that I had never experienced.

From day one I was hooked.

It is like her rhymes were so unlike anything that I had ever heard it was truly a love affair. Granted I was not trying to fall in love with her. Whatever she got between her legs sends niggaz wild! Look at Andre Benjamin – after Badu he went from Dro and Lacks to blond wigs and turbans. Or Common once she finished with him – the brother was rocking shawls and crochet pants! Yea, Mama’s Gun is strong and serious but I love her none the less.

When I am traveling, when I am reading, when I am writing, when I am working out – she takes me on Worldwide Journey Underground. From introducing me to N’dambi to helping me discover deeper parts of myself, for me Badu had always been there.

I enjoy her holistic philosophy and in many ways think that she challenges convention to ensure that at the basis of it all – WE LEARN! I may not be ready to ride to the “Mother Ship” with her but I am ready to ride with Badu. You can never create another earthy diva like her. Never!

She is a chick that is down for her man. A chick that knows LIGHT is the only cure for darkness. I have been working on a poem about her for sometime but every time I am ready to reveal it – another thought comes. So I’ll share it when the time is right

Take a day and join me on the journey! Ingest Baduism and understand that the mission of this sister is more than music. It’s the words that identify her passion. After Revolution – there must be Peace. Only then can you really take control.

Light,
RAHMAN

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive, friend. My sentiments exactly.

Promiscuous X said...

*Singing* "Now what am I suppose to do. When I won't you in my world. How can I want you for myself. When I'm already someones girl. I guess ill see you next lifetime....". Great post yo. She needs to come back out ASAP

Clay said...

Love her - and people forget how much of a great vocalist she is!

Mr. Jones said...

Erykah is great. She may be the only artist who's entire discography can play without me skipping a track.

Anonymous said...

I know you are excited about her cd to be released in February.